Avengers: EndGame [Spoilers]

Talk about anything you want here
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Avengers: EndGame [Spoilers]

Post by Tawmis » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:14 am

Went and saw it opening night... anyone else see it yet?

Please use spoiler tags in case someone clicks into the thread accidentally or whatever...

MusicallyInspired
Village Elder

Re: Avengers: EndGame [Spoilers]

Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 am

Yes. Opening night on Thurs. Incredible to be a part of the end of a history-making cinematic experience like Star Wars was way back when. We all went to see Infinity War when it came out after having gone through all the original 18 movies before that in a row. Didn't go at all how I expected, but at least all the characters (the core 6) got their share of attention this time around (Captain America in Infinity War felt like a mere afterthought). So that was very satisfying. The ending sequence even more so. I also will always be a sucker for time travel stories if done reasonably well and I think this one was. I just wish Dr. Strange had more to do than to simply hold off a water flood. His battle sequence in Infinity War was the highlight of the whole movie for me.

I think I'm done with the MCU after this, though. There's no coming back to this high. It's a perfect end. I'll still watch Spiderman Far From Home when it comes out on video, but I'm done now. There's no where left to go but down.

I will watch another Dr. Strange movie, though. Really liked that one.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:50 am

Well, there's no plan to "connect" them all to a big story line, apparently. Now they're just going to be "connected" (a shared universe) without building up to something, as I understand it.

The wife and I did a podcast about Avengers: EndGame for those interested, also:
http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/2215

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Post by notbobsmith » Mon May 20, 2019 9:38 pm

Finally saw it this past weekend. I really enjoyed it. I liked that they let the consequences of "The Snap" stand. Obviously, time travel of some sort was going to be involved, but it would have felt a little cheap if they simply had undone "Infinity War" so that "The Snap" never happened. That said, it's best not to think too much about how the rules of time travel work in this universe.

I was wondering how "Agents of SHIELD" was going to handle "Endgame". I had the first two episodes sitting on my DVR until I saw "Endgame". Pretty much every movie that has come out during the shows run gets at least mentioned contemporaneously, starting with "Thor: The Dark World", and of course the big twist in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" changed the whole tone and direction of the series. Timing the episodes to coincide with the movie is actually kind of impressive. "Infinity War" was mentioned near the end of Season 5, but only that there was an invasion in New York. It's not clear how much time passes over the final episodes, but one could argue that the season ended just before "The Snap" occurs. Which brings us to Season 6... and there's no mention of what happened at all. It takes place 1 year after the end of Season 5, so 1 year after "Infinity War" meaning half the population is still gone. I guess this was a bridge too far for the showrunners. Trying to incorporate the events of "Infinity War" would get in the way of the story that they want to tell.

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 am

notbobsmith wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:38 pm
Finally saw it this past weekend. I really enjoyed it. I liked that they let the consequences of "The Snap" stand. Obviously, time travel of some sort was going to be involved, but it would have felt a little cheap if they simply had undone "Infinity War" so that "The Snap" never happened. That said, it's best not to think too much about how the rules of time travel work in this universe.

I was wondering how "Agents of SHIELD" was going to handle "Endgame". I had the first two episodes sitting on my DVR until I saw "Endgame". Pretty much every movie that has come out during the shows run gets at least mentioned contemporaneously, starting with "Thor: The Dark World", and of course the big twist in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" changed the whole tone and direction of the series. Timing the episodes to coincide with the movie is actually kind of impressive. "Infinity War" was mentioned near the end of Season 5, but only that there was an invasion in New York. It's not clear how much time passes over the final episodes, but one could argue that the season ended just before "The Snap" occurs. Which brings us to Season 6... and there's no mention of what happened at all. It takes place 1 year after the end of Season 5, so 1 year after "Infinity War" meaning half the population is still gone. I guess this was a bridge too far for the showrunners. Trying to incorporate the events of "Infinity War" would get in the way of the story that they want to tell.
I believe the Alien Invasion is actually a reference to the first Avengers movie, no?

notbobsmith
Sierra Veteran

Post by notbobsmith » Tue May 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Tawmis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 am
notbobsmith wrote:

I believe the Alien Invasion is actually a reference to the first Avengers movie, no?
The Season 5 episode I am thinking of aired the same weekend as the release of "Infinity War". The New York invasion was Strange, Iron Man and Spidey fighting Thanos' minions (I don't know their names).

Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant

Post by Tawmis » Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 am

notbobsmith wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:31 pm
Tawmis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:12 am
notbobsmith wrote:
The Season 5 episode I am thinking of aired the same weekend as the release of "Infinity War". The New York invasion was Strange, Iron Man and Spidey fighting Thanos' minions (I don't know their names).
Ah, OK. I might be thinking of an earlier season where they mention an Alien Invasion which is a reference to Avengers.

I have since stopped watching Agents of SHIELD (shortly after Ward came back; from the odd dimension thing - then back on Earth... I vaguely remember a car... or a car accident with Ward being involved)... After that I was out. I was never really into the show to begin with... I was mostly watching it because it was Marvel... I enjoyed when Sif was in it for a few episodes, but she was the reason I watched it as long as I did. :lol: