DOSBox help

Talk about games or general tech issues that are not Sierra related.

DOSBox help

Postby notbobsmith » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 pm

I've been looking to update the version of DOSBox that I am using and could use a little help. I am currently using ykhwong's build, but it hasn't updated in over 2 years and the most recent build is kind of buggy. I have to use an older version for some games. I am basically looking for a one size fits all (or as close as possible) version. One that has MT32 and Glide emulation. I've heard about DOSBox-X and downloaded the most recent version. Or at least I think I did. I don't really follow how the Github page is set up. The date on the file is 2-19-2016. The problem that I am having is trying to run it in full screen mode. I edit the conf file and set "fullscreen" to true and "aspect" to true. "output" is by default set to direct3d, but the window still won't fill the screen. When I look at the conf file, the list of options for "output" doesn't include direct3d (even though that's the default setting) and the error log it generates says that direct3d isn't an option and "output" is reverting to "surface". Other output modes don't support aspect correction, except for ddraw, but that leaves the Windows cursor visible which is kind of annoying. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if they could point me to which version of DOSBox they use. Thanks.
notbobsmith
Sierra Obsessed

Re: DOSBox help

Postby Collector » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:42 pm

No Glide, but the DOSBox ECE build is nice. It has Munt and is based on the latest SVN of official DOSBox with a few patches that increase accuracy, such as Ant_222's pixel perfect patch.

Pixel-PerfectLB1.png

What I like about it is that without all of the bells and whistles that add complexity it is more stable and less buggy than ykhwong's or DOSBox-x.

http://blog.yesterplay80.net/?page_id=515
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Collector
Grand Poobah

Postby Fender_178 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:37 am

Collector wrote:No Glide, but the DOSBox ECE build is nice. It has Munt and is based on the latest SVN of official DOSBox with a few patches that increase accuracy, such as Ant_222's pixel perfect patch.

Pixel-PerfectLB1.png

What I like about it is that without all of the bells and whistles that add complexity it is more stable and less buggy than ykhwong's or DOSBox-x.

http://blog.yesterplay80.net/?page_id=515

I thought there was Glide support via the ECE version of DOSBox but its done differently through the OpenGL graphical output setting which means there is no need for a Glide Wrapper like in ykhwong's version which requires a glide wrapper. There is support of Voodoo 3dfx cards through the OpenGL output setting.
FREEZE SCUM!!
Fender_178
Sierra Veteran

Postby notbobsmith » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried a few things and DOSBox ECE seems to work pretty well. Like Fender said, the webpage seems to suggest that it has Glide support, but so far I haven't been able to get it to work. I'll keep toying with it.

pixel perfect is interesting. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it though. On one hand the image looks cleaner, on the other there are the vertical black bars on the screen in addition to the vertical ones. I need to work with it more.
notbobsmith
Sierra Obsessed

Return to Non-Sierra Games & Help