How do you say "GUI?"

Talk about anything you want here
Post Reply

How do you pronounce "GUI?"

As an initialism, where you say each letter individually (ex: CIA, FBI, KGB, DMZ, PCI-E, SSD)
4
67%
As an acronym, where you pronounce it as a word (ex: NASA, RADAR, LASER, FUBAR, SATA, SCSI)
2
33%
 
Total votes: 6

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

How do you say "GUI?"

Post by DeadPoolX » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Online there's a disagreement (hardly surprising, right?) between the way you correctly pronounce GUI, which stands for Graphical User Interface.

Some people say it's pronounced "gooey" whereas others say it's "g-u-i."

Personally, I'm the latter camp, mostly because it sounds absolutely ridiculous to use the word "gooey" to seriously refer to a graphical user interface.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 12582
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Tawmis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:32 pm

I always said "gew-e" (so "gooey" is my vote)

I think because it looks like a legit word (has vowels mixed in it). Like if CSA was CAS, I'd probably call it "Kas", and if FBI was "FIB"... Well, I'd say fib. :)

User avatar
notbobsmith
Oldbie
Posts: 540
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by notbobsmith » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:07 pm

I've always said "gooey" as well. I think there is more dispute over how to pronounce "gif". I've always pronounce it like "gift" without the "t" since it is the same "g" sound as in "graphics", but even the creators pronounce it "jif".
Tawmis wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:32 pm
I think because it looks like a legit word (has vowels mixed in it). Like if CSA was CAS, I'd probably call it "Kas", and if FBI was "FIB"... Well, I'd say fib. :)
Fun fact: Chemicals are given unique identifiers by the Chemical Abstracts Service called CAS numbers. And it is pronounced "Kas".

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 12582
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Tawmis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:24 pm

notbobsmith wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:07 pm
I've always said "gooey" as well. I think there is more dispute over how to pronounce "gif". I've always pronounce it like "gift" without the "t" since it is the same "g" sound as in "graphics", but even the creators pronounce it "jif".
Tawmis wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:32 pm
I think because it looks like a legit word (has vowels mixed in it). Like if CSA was CAS, I'd probably call it "Kas", and if FBI was "FIB"... Well, I'd say fib. :)
Fun fact: Chemicals are given unique identifiers by the Chemical Abstracts Service called CAS numbers. And it is pronounced "Kas".
On the "GIF" debate - it's "GIF" as in "GIFT" (to me)... but the guy who made it said it's "Jif." However, this dude, I'd punch, because of how he talks (notice he doesn't use "GIFT" as an example).

User avatar
Semi-Happy Partygoer
Sierra Veteran
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: Sydney
Gender: Male

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Semi-Happy Partygoer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 pm

The G in GIF stands for graphical, so I always use a hard G when saying it. JIF(F) is a peanut butter brand, not a format.

As for GUI, I say each letter individually.
"It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers" - James Thurber

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
Posts: 2766
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Gender: Male
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Semi-Happy Partygoer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:39 pm
The G in GIF stands for graphical, so I always use a hard G when saying it. JIF(F) is a peanut butter brand, not a format.

As for GUI, I say each letter individually.
Exactly all of this.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11508
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Collector » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 pm

As far as GUI goes in all of the IT circles I have been in it is universally gooey. As to GIF I go with the inventor. To say different is like mispronouncing a persons given name or mispronouncing their child's name.
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 12582
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Tawmis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Collector wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 pm
As far as GUI goes in all of the IT circles I have been in it is universally gooey. As to GIF I go with the inventor. To say different is like mispronouncing a persons given name or mispronouncing their child's name.
Do you pronounce it "SHP" as "S.H.P." or "SH-P" (like you're hushing someone, then telling them to pee?) or "ship"? :lol:

User avatar
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Rath Darkblade » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 am

GUI - ever since I started learning how to program in GUI, everyone I know has called it "gooey".

GIF - I use a hard "G", because it stands for "graphical", not "jraphical". :P

SHP = "S H P".

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
Posts: 2766
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Gender: Male
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:13 am

On the topic of mispronouncing someone's child's name (somewhat on topic anyway), I wish I could slap some parents upside the head lol. I know people who named their daughter "Jasmine" but spelled it "Jazzman" out of complete ignorance, I believe. And every now and then I think of that and physically cringe. Even if it was on purpose and not out of ignorance I'd still cringe, though. And I cringe equally at the creator of GIF mispronouncing his own acronym. Whether out of ignorance or being willfully and intentionally provocative, either way it's a cringe. :P
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 12582
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Tawmis » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:39 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:13 am
On the topic of mispronouncing someone's child's name (somewhat on topic anyway), I wish I could slap some parents upside the head lol. I know people who named their daughter "Jasmine" but spelled it "Jazzman" out of complete ignorance, I believe. And every now and then I think of that and physically cringe. Even if it was on purpose and not out of ignorance I'd still cringe, though.
Man, it must kill you when you see a new post from me. :lol:

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by DeadPoolX » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 pm

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:13 am
On the topic of mispronouncing someone's child's name (somewhat on topic anyway), I wish I could slap some parents upside the head lol. I know people who named their daughter "Jasmine" but spelled it "Jazzman" out of complete ignorance, I believe.
Worst case of that I've ever heard of was a woman who named her daughter "La-a" but pronounced it "Ladasha."

Snopes claims this is a legend because they can't find any documented proof, although they state they've heard from hundreds of people who say they knew someone whose name was spelled and pronounced like that.

It's certainly not impossible; there are a lot of morons out there and some pretty unusual names (regardless of culture), so it's certainly possible that someone, somewhere would've done this.

Sometimes parents choose weird names or combinations they think are "cute" or "funny." I saw a British documentary series called Botched Up Bodies on Netflix that interviewed a woman named "Dee Tweedle" and recall a patient of my Dad's named "Charlie Charles." There's also an OB-GYN in Virginia named "Harry Beaver". Even before that guy decided to be an OB-GYN, his parents had to have named him "Harry" while laughing.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 12582
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Tawmis » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:03 pm

DeadPoolX wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 pm
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:13 am
On the topic of mispronouncing someone's child's name (somewhat on topic anyway), I wish I could slap some parents upside the head lol. I know people who named their daughter "Jasmine" but spelled it "Jazzman" out of complete ignorance, I believe.
Worst case of that I've ever heard of was a woman who named her daughter "La-a" but pronounced it "Ladasha."
Snopes claims this is a legend because they can't find any documented proof, although they state they've heard from hundreds of people who say they knew someone whose name was spelled and pronounced like that.
It's certainly not impossible; there are a lot of morons out there and some pretty unusual names (regardless of culture), so it's certainly possible that someone, somewhere would've done this.
Sometimes parents choose weird names or combinations they think are "cute" or "funny." I saw a documentary on Netflix that interviewed a woman named "Dee Tweedle" and recall a patient of my Dad's named "Charlie Charles." There's also an OB-GYN in Fairfax, VA named "Harry Beaver". Even before that guy decided to be an OB-GYN, the parents had to have named him "Harry" while laughing.
In high school I knew a girl named Krystal Ball.

EDIT: And Holy Hades - this might be her - her being from San Diego might be coincidence enough but I noticed one of the people on her friends list works (worked) at Southwestern College (which is not a major college and a few miles away from where I lived back then).

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Village Elder
Posts: 2766
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 am
Gender: Male
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:26 pm

I know of a woman who had a troubled pregnancy or something. Or maybe it was something like she couldn't have children or after the child was born it wasn't expected to survive or something, but when it did survive she named her "A Miracle" but she spelled and pronounced it as "Americal" which seems strange, but it kinda works as a name I guess. That one doesn't make me cringe because of the circumstances, but it is noteworthy and just a tad odd.
01010100 01110010 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01010100 01001000 00110001

User avatar
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: How do you say "GUI?"

Post by Rath Darkblade » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:29 am

Sheesh. If you want kids with bad names, I believe that some neo-Nazis (not just USian ones) have named their boy "Adolf" or "Hitler" or both. I think I've come across cases like this in the US, Brazil and Sweden.

Speaking of Brazil, I've heard of parents who named their boy "Adidas". Now there is one kid who will get bullied in school through no fault of his own.

Of course, I'm sure you've heard of this person - he has the longest name in the world, with 666 letters. :shock: He is probably the only person ever to have 26 first names (one for each letter of the alphabet) plus an immensely long surname. Strange what some people will do. ;)

Post Reply