Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Talk about anything you want here
User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11330
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Collector » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 pm

The Lost Gardens of Heligan
The lost gardens of Heligan - 22-1.jpg
“Giant’s Head” in the Lost Gardens of Heligan.
This caught my attention as it reminded me of this:
KQ7-Rocky.png
Feldspar the Rock Spirit of Eldritch in KQ7
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Tawmis » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:09 am

That park looks amazing.

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4332
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by BBP » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 am

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2018 shortlist:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/gal ... n-pictures
Latest script: SQ3!! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11330
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Collector » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 am

Nice
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Tawmis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am

BBP wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 am
Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2018 shortlist:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/gal ... n-pictures
Is it me or is that tree (5th picture down), the same one from the Youtube thread you posted - where I said my favorite part of the video was the tree?

EDIT: Looks like the same tree, but not the same photo (position of the stars is different) - 1:35 mark on the Skylight video you posted.

User avatar
Rath Darkblade
The Cute One
Posts: 4768
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:15 am
Location: Lost in Translation
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Rath Darkblade » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:03 am

"Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" is coming to Netflix. Yep. ;)

There's also new books and such for kids. Plus a figurine, T-shirts, card games, and all that jazz. Just to get the kids interested in geography, too. ;)

I remember playing the Carmen Sandiego games when I was a kid (but I was too young to watch the show on PBS). Pretty cool, I hope!

And, just for fun ... Where in Etheria is Catra Sandiego? ;)

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4332
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by BBP » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:19 pm

This house has been on sale in Norfolk since April at a selling price of 490,000 pounds. It features a glass balustrade, underfloor heating, newly renovated kitchen, and a graveyard in the front garden.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/short ... ont-garden
Latest script: SQ3!! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Tawmis » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:39 pm

BBP wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:19 pm
This house has been on sale in Norfolk since April at a selling price of 490,000 pounds. It features a glass balustrade, underfloor heating, newly renovated kitchen, and a graveyard in the front garden.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/short ... ont-garden
This part has me curious:
Oh, A Graveyard you say? wrote: More important than all the dead people rotting away underneath my living room window? Listen, I know it’s not ideal, but our hands are tied. As we quite clearly stated on the Rightmove listing page: “The graveyard to the front of the house is not part of the chapel’s title and remains in the ownership of the Church of England, leasehold for 999 years.”
So does that mean, if someone BOUGHT the house, even if they WANTED to, they couldn't do anything about the graveyards because it's on leasehold with the Church of England for 999 years? So the front yard is not actually OWNED by whomever buys the house?

User avatar
BBP
Village Elder
Posts: 4332
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:07 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by BBP » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 pm

Are any of our US friends suffering at the hand of the polar vortex?
Latest script: SQ3!! Check the Script Party topic in the Bard's Forum!
Skip to new scripts

User avatar
Jules
Delta Babe
Posts: 2262
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:59 am
Location: in the mountains

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Jules » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Not much here in Colorado but my parents in Pennsylvania had -2 this morning!

User avatar
Collector
Grand Poobah
Posts: 11330
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Sierraland
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Collector » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 pm

-3 last night
01000010 01111001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100001

Image

User avatar
DeadPoolX
DPX the Conqueror!
Posts: 3999
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 pm
Gender: XY
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by DeadPoolX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 pm

We're having a snowstorm! :shock:

I know what you're thinking: "You're in Canada, of course there's snow!"

Well... not necessarily. Maia and I live in Victoria, BC (it's on Vancouver Island, which, despite the name, is not where the city of Vancouver is located) and snow here is very, very unusual. Winter is almost always lots and lots of rain, but snow? Maybe a light dusting here and there, but that's about it.

Not this year, though. It's snowing like crazy!

In fact, there's a snowfall warning for Greater Victoria that states we could have up to 25 cm of snow this week, which is insane for this city. There's virtually no infrastructure built around dealing with snow and no one really knows how to drive in it.
"Er, Tawni, not Tawmni, unless you are doing drag."
-- Collector (commenting on a slight spelling error made by Tawmis)

User avatar
Tawmis
Grand Poobah's Servant
Posts: 11644
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:19 am
Gender: Not Specified
Contact:

Re: Cool and Interesting News & Such.

Post by Tawmis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm

DeadPoolX wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 pm
We're having a snowstorm! :shock:
I know what you're thinking: "You're in Canada, of course there's snow!"
Well... not necessarily. Maia and I live in Victoria, BC (it's on Vancouver Island, which, despite the name, is not where the city of Vancouver is located) and snow here is very, very unusual. Winter is almost always lots and lots of rain, but snow? Maybe a light dusting here and there, but that's about it.
Not this year, though. It's snowing like crazy!
In fact, there's a snowfall warning for Greater Victoria that states we could have up to 25 cm of snow this week, which is insane for this city. There's virtually no infrastructure built around dealing with snow and no one really knows how to drive in it.
I've contacted Alpha Flight, they're on it!
Image


(The joke being that Alpha Flight is Canada's super hero team in Marvel) ;)

Post Reply